Hines is one of the largest real estate organizations in the world, but as they expanded internationally they experienced escalating challenges in their backup and recovery architecture. These included managing multiple vendors with incompatible systems, increasingly diverse storage requirements, and rising costs.
So how did Hines confront the problem?
With 3,450 employees in 119 cities in 19 countries, Hines found that the amount of data in their data center facility in Austin grew at an alarming rate, with expenditures to match, until it became clear that worldwide manual tape backup wasn’t working.
Even with an IT team of 31, Hines was confronted with a dizzying array of challenges: from incompatible systems (some of which didn’t accommodate mobile devices), to reliance on multiple vendors with different capabilities and lead times, to missing data from unreliable forms of backup, and rising costs.
Hines turned to RestorePoint and their Data Virtualization Experts to ease the burden on their IT team RestorePoint’s agentless software is built for efficient operation and easily integrates with public, private, and hybrid cloud architectures. Hines highlighted the following capabilities as key factors for selectingRestorePoint’s solution:
- Platform-independent support for IT environments with international distribution
- Device-agnostic support for a wide range of systems including mobile devices
- Simple, centralized backup that eliminates the need for multiple point solutions
- Highly scalable design that expands with the company’s needs
- Ability to reduce the cost of backup by storing less critical data on archival storage platforms
- NIST FIPS 140-2 certified security with AES-256 encryption in-flight and at-rest. The payoff after running a three- and a five-year Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) study, the firm already shows cost savings of at least a 40 percent now that IT has been freed from manual tape handling. The company also now enjoys more efficient integrated recoveries and enhanced data security.
“Like many data-intensive companies in a high growth phase, we had concerns about data security and retrieval using tape-based backup. Finding the right solution and company to partner with was key to resolving those issues. RestorePoint has become an extension of our team, freeing my staff up to focus on core business issues.”
— Jesse Carrillo, Senior Vice President and CIO, Hines